Friday, February 13, 2009

So Proud, and Relieved!

Baileigh had a contest at school to design a box for her Valentine's Party. They were supposed to use materials around their house and be as creative as possible. I decided to expose her to the fine art of paper mache so we covered a heart balloon, cut a slit for the cards, and then painted it and decorated it.
She grew very hopeful and optimistic that her box was going to win. We spent the entire week trying to play down the contest so she wouldn't be disappointed if she lost. The night before the party she asked God in her bedtime prayers that she if she didn't win she hoped she wouldn't be sad or upset and if she did win she wanted to be a good sport and not brag.
The day of her party I thought about her constantly and wondered how the judging went. She came out of school and started running when she saw me. I couldn't tell in the distance if she was crying or happy. As she got closer I heard "I WON! I WON! I WON!" I seriously started tearing up with excitement and relief. It was one of those moments where it hit me just how much her victories and failures in life are going to feel like my victories and failures. That excites me and terrifies me at the same time!

No comments: