Friday, October 31, 2008

Trunk or Treat

Happy Halloween! We started our evening by visiting the neighbors on our court. There are just four houses on this court, and despite the fact that there aren't other children the families are all very kind and love our kids. They all came out with their cameras and wanted to take pictures of the girls and gave them tons of candy.

We don't usually dress up but the kids kept asking us what we were going to dress up as for Halloween. We both threw something together to show we made the effort and to please our children...Brad was a baseball player and I bought "cat accessories" that were 75% off for $1.99 and added some whiskers to the delight of Brooke. Baileigh and Mckenna are all on their second round of costumes. They both wore something else to their school parties but agreed to wear these costumes since they would keep them warm. This Halloween consisted of all reused costumes and Brooke's $1.99 costume I purchased at Old Navy last November on clearance!!! Yippee. I was able to convince Baileigh and Mckenna that they didn't need new costumes since nobody in VA had ever seen their old costumes. I'll miss these days when they are older...when they roll their eyes at me and won't buy what I'm selling them.
Our church puts on a huge Trunk or Treat night every year...it is a major outreach to the community and draws thousands of people for petting zoos, hayrides, inflatables, hot dogs, a band, pumpkin decorating and crafts and last but not least at least fifty vehicles decorated for Trick or Treat.

Our previous church also did Trunk or Treat and although they did a nice job it pales in comparison to what I saw tonight! Initially I thought we would see what things look like this year and maybe host a trunk next year...but now I'm intimidated to host a trunk!

Here are a few good ones...there were several but some were hard to photograph. This one is Jonah and the whale...this would be a good use for my Suburban!
This "trunk" looked like a scene from a mall...there were reindeer and elves and Santa in a sleigh. There was also a snow machine, Christmas trees with lights and Christmas music playing. The display was at least 25 yards long and so elaborate!
There were a few Noah's Arks...I think this huge "trunk" was the winner! Is there even a car back there?
There were also a lot of elaborate pumpkins that went with the theme of the trunk. This star wars trunk was pretty good...but their pumpkins were amazing. This photo isn't great, but you can still see the elaborate carving and detail.
Afterwards the girls stopped to enjoy some of their candy. Our friends, Anne and Claire, joined us for the evening. We also ended up standing in line next to one of Brad's really good buddies from the academy. They used to play football together and Brad had lost track of him since he got out of the Air Force a few years ago...out of the thousands of people at the Trunk or Treat we found ourselves in line right next to this guy and his family who aren't even AF but live in the VA area. Small world.
Despite the sugar high the girls all passed out pretty quickly tonight. The weather was pretty mild for this time of year and we all had a great evening! I have a sinking feeling that Brad may be deployed this time next year so I was keeping that in mind throughout the evening and enjoying having him around (more then normal) to parent with...plus next year I'll be outnumbered 4 to 1!




4 comments:

Tylertopia said...

Those are some seriously awesome trunk decorations! I love the fact that you and Brad dressed up to have fun with the girls. Nice! Looks like you all had a fun night.

I sincerely hope you are not parenting alone next year (or ever...but I know that's a steep request) with 4 kiddos. I have a hard enough time with 2 boys, I can't (and don't want to) imagine 3 or 4 in the mix. I wish you luck, Friend!:o)

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I've never been trunk-or-treating... looks fun!

Amy said...

Looks so fun! At least next year you will be able to wear your little one in a front pack. You can do it!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh my, that's crazy insane! We went to a trunk-or-treat this year too, but it wasn't like THAT. Although, I was still pretty amazed by some of th creativity.

The girls look great... and so do you, Kitty Momma!