Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Snail Tank

We officially no longer have a fish tank. It is now just a snail tank.

In the past two weeks we have managed to kill six fish. Oops. Good thing we have a better track record with dogs and kids!

We're getting a water test kit today to see if that is the problem. However, I think our two snails are murderers! Our snails are crazy! They are extremely active, fast, and always out of their shells and crawling around the tank. With two of our fish I found them on the bottom of the tank, smothered by a snail! I assumed at the time that the fish had died and then the snail crawled over to explore.

Until I saw my current conspiracy theory in action...TWICE! The first time I watched a snail slowly approach a very alive fish that was chillin on the bottom of the tank. He sidled up next to the fish and then pinned his tail into the rocks. The fish started to squirm but was trapped. I quickly grabbed our next and pushed the snail off the fish to free him and give him a second chance at life! Had I not witnessed the near fatal incident myself I wouldn't have believed my eyes!

The second murder attempt was unfortunately successful, and involved both snails! I was sitting at the computer and noticed the two snails out of their shells and pressed up against each other...fascinating in and of itself. I watched for a minute and then realized that squeezed between the two snails was poor Dorothy (Brooke's fish). I had fed her an hour early and she was swimming around the tank and acting completely normal. Then...the snails attacked...and the rest is this unfortunate tale.

The snails were recommended to us and we were told they would be fine with the fish and even help keep the tank clean like an algie eater. If the water test comes back okay then the snails have to go...frankly, I think they may have to go regardless. They are starting to freak me out a little!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Who knew snails were so malicious?

Mom To Jacob & Allison said...

Seriously, as I was feeding our 2 fish this morning, I was thinking... "Gee, Melynie said the snails are alot of fun... maybe we will go get one this weekend!". Not a chance now!

I think we are just going to keep things status quo since we've not had any fatalities in many months.

nilvento said...

when we had a fish tank, it just naturally got snails....seriously...magically appeared...but they were tiny and didn't murder any fish that we know of....hmmm....