Friday, October 24, 2008

MOPS Decision

Last month I wrote a post about my new MOPS group. Someone asked me the other day what I had decided to do and I realized that I never posted an update. I had intended on just attending the meetings and using it as an avenue to hopefully make some new friends. A lot of things occurred early on and I found myself in the position of actually needing to decide whether or not to be a table leader.

This is a role I've assumed several times in the past at various MOPS programs...however, I didn't anticipate being involved in this capacity in my first semester with a new program. I posted about the idea and received at least seven comments last I checked. I believe that the majority of the comments told me that I shouldn't feel obligated to be a table leader with everything else going on in life.

I pondered the comments and the entire situation...pondered and prayed. I found myself in complete agreement with one comment...the comment from my friend who apparently knows me very well:

"I'm pretty sure you're going to do it. It's an awesome opportunity to serve these women that don't know the Lord, and you know that. You're going to try to steer the conversation towards God weekly anyway. You'll pray for them, and you'll probably make an effort to call them and do playdates, - so what's an occasional table favor on top of that? What else are you going to think about once the wallpaper is all gone and the kitchen is in...."

So no offense to those out there that had different opinions...I appreciate your feedback and genuine concern that I may be taking on too much. But I felt that the opportunity to be in this role so early on isn't by accident. I also don't think its a huge responsibility that goes much beyond what I would do at a regular MOPS meetings for the girls at my table. Perhaps a few extra hours attending some meetings this semester and a little time creating favors or shopping for the perfect little surprise to leave at their seat...but the idea of reaching out to them, praying for them, and trying to establish friendships with these women isn't something that I would do or wouldn't do based upon my title at the table.

3 comments:

Tylertopia said...

I'm happy that you chose what is best for you and that you are going into it with your whole heart. :o)

Royal Cuties said...

What wacky friend gave you THAT advice?!

John and Carrie said...

You are doing a GREAT job. Thank you for doing it!