Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Did you Vote?

I have to share my voting experience...I'm still smiling and thanking God. The girls don't have school today, so I had to drag all three along with me to vote. I was prepared with the largest blow-pops I could find to occupy them during the wait. The school parking lot was fairly full and there was line outside the cafeteria. As I prepared to find my place in the back of the line I was asked for my last name. When I told the woman she said to go inside to the second line to wait. I walked inside and passed line one...alphabetical for those with last names from A-F,there were about 20 people waiting in this line. I continued to walk with my three little ducks in a row behind me, I saw another line for M-R with about another 20 people waiting. I stopped and surveyed the crowd and saw a woman waving at me sitting at a table with a sign in front of her that said G-L...there wasn't a single person in line!!!! I looked around again thinking this must be a mistake as I slowly approached her feeling the cold stares of people with the unfortunate status of having last names that fell somewhere in the alphabet between A-F and G-L. When I got to the table I double checked to make sure I hadn't cut off anyone and she told me that it was just my lucky day and my timing was perfect! I was so excited and in utter disbelief all at the same time...I was also thinking how thankful I was I married someone with a last name that started with "H"! In less then five minutes I checked in, received my voters card and cast my ballot. I barely had time to give the girls their blow-pops. On the way out there were three women talking to each other and sharing their experiences, one had been there thirty minutes and thought she had done well...the other lady had been there for an hour.

It took me ten minutes from the time I put the kids in the car and headed to Baileigh's neighborhood school to vote until I was buckling them back up in the car to leave!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God! The odds were against me, three kids (one who threw up last night) and it was cold and raining. Everything was making me not want to vote...so thank you God!

Also...I saw on Facebook last night that you could get a free drip coffee from Starbucks if you vote...I asked about it in my Target at their Starbucks counter and sure enough! There is no in store advertising for this so hopefully you've heard or you'll read this post in time!

2 comments:

Traci said...

So did you read on Facebook that I waited THREE HOURS. Let me repeat that...THREE HOURS. Can you believe it?

Anonymous said...

I got my free cup of joe on my way home from voting! Glad there was something good to look back on today!

J