Saturday, November 15, 2008

Home Made Playdough

In an effort to curb the energy of my girls on this rainy Saturday I decided to make some playdough. This is pretty ironic because I hate the mess of playdough and I'm always thrilled to hear that the girls had an opportunity to play with it at church or other places so I'm off the hook.

I'm not sure what possessed me today but I suggested we make playdough to double their enthusiasm and the time of our project. I found a ton of various recipes online that required cooking the playdough. The obvious cons were the fact that the girls would be around the hot stove and the fact that the dough would be hot for awhile afterwards.


I found the following recipe and it was fast and simple and required no cooking. It also made decent dough and the girls are happily entertained. I also read a few sites that suggested you add a little vanilla extract to your mixture to keep it softer a few days longer.

Uncooked Playdough:

Materials
Bowl
1 cup cold water
1 cup salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Tempera paint or food coloring
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions

In bowl, mix water, salt, oil, and enough tempera paint or food coloring to make a bright color. Gradually add flour and cornstarch until the mixture reaches the consistency of bread dough. Store covered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm playdough mom for Jackson's pre K class(A job that doesn't take working in the classroom) I have a few recipies if you ever want to try a new one. I, like you, love that they play with playdough at other places.

Sherry