Saturday, May 26, 2007

Group Ride

Today I woke up early and headed to our church to meet up with a bike riding group. I've been training solo since I started so I was a little nervous but excited at the thought of riding in a group. Due to the Memorial Day weekend the normal group of 6-10 was down to 3 including myself. So I set of with Kevin (I nicknamed him "the Machine"...in my mind...with huge, intimidating calves) and Leonard for a 20 mile ride. I was concerned about slowing these guys down but I held my own. They were both really nice and gave me some good advice on local bike stores in the area. We averaged about 17.6mph and road just a little over an hour.

The weather was beautiful...about 68 degrees at 7am...it got up to 90 degrees later in the day! I think we only had about a half dozen cars pass us during the entire hour...however we probably saw or passed about 50 bikers in other groups enjoying the beautiful morning. The South Jersey area has a big biking following and I'm finding it to be a pretty supportive and conducive area to my riding! Today, my training guide called for a brick workout (2 disciplines back to back) so I switched shoes in the church parking lot and set out for a short run just to get my legs used to transitioning immediately from the bike to running. I've only done this a few times but I could feel a difference today that my legs were tired but a lot less rubbery feeling (for lack of a better description) then earlier in the month. I was only supposed to run 10 minutes so I did a mile and called it quits. Now I only have to add a half mile swim and 2.1 more miles running and I've done my triathlon!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm so proud of your training! It's not easy, I know, but I'm sure it's exhilerating to be able to mark acheivements like that. And to have time to yourself! I'm sure you appreciate that.