Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Big Day

Yesterday was busy. It started with the girls indoor soccer class. Baileigh really seems to enjoy soccer...Mckenna is into it for the first 20 minutes or so and then looses interest and visits me for a drink about every other minute. After soccer I dropped Mckenna and Brooke off at a good friends house and took Baileigh out for lunch and then off to Kindergarten round-up. To say that Baileigh was excited about this day is an understatement. She woke up at 6am wondering if it was time to leave.
This two hour meeting was a chance for Baileigh to see the school, meet the various kindergarten teachers...and last but not least, RIDE THE BUS! Yes, folks...apparently for a 5 year old this is the end all be all, the zenith, the pinnacle of opportunities! Why? I'm not sure, but if you could have seen the joy that it brought her you would understand why I temporarily considered painting the Suburban yellow, adding a stop sign to the side, and calling it a bus.
I really never anticipated this day to be emotional. I was a little distracted by my need to learn about the school system and paper work. But there was a moment, when they took all the kids for the bus ride...Baileigh jumped up and headed out the door, then stopped and turned to look at me and waved good-bye with a big grin on her face. It was at that moment that I noticed a lump in my throat, a big lump. Flashing before my eyes was the first day of kindergarten, her first sleep over camp, her first prom, graduations etc...that is about as far as I jumped ahead mentally before I was summoned back to reality and Principal Lacovara telling us about the history of Chairville Elementary.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for September 6...maybe the bus will break down!

1 comment:

Tylertopia said...

Oh my gosh. What an exciting and heart wrenching time! Let the tears flow! I know I will when the time comes. Something about them growing up a bit and going off without us, even if it's only for a few hours every day...that's rough. Maybe you SHOULD paint the Suburban yellow and add a stop sign to the side.