Friday, July 28, 2006

Stuck in Spinning Class

Today I went to my first spinning class...and probably my last. I hated it. It wasn't so much the class actually, it was the bike. The bike seat. The class itself was somewhat enjoyable. Lights off, fans on high, loud music pumping a classic 80's club mix containing renditions of Culture Club and Pet Shop Boys to name a few of the "oldies"...you know you're somewhere in your 30's if your reading this and understanding.

But that bike seat. OUCH. I unfortunately have enough padding in the derriere region that I never imagined I would find the small pointy seat the least bit uncomfortable. When the class initially started my body had not yet developed the love hate relationship I was going to find with that seat. I found myself anxious for the segments in the workout when we would be hill climbing so I could stand and get off the seat. Ten minutes later I was exhausted and anxious to return to my uncomfortable friend. I realize I'm not in the class for comfort and perhaps my psychological reaction was the exact purpose of these seats.

The growing discomfort I was feeling only made me feel more trapped...a prisoner for the next 45 minutes. A large clock poorly placed directly next to the teachers head only emphasized how slow my torture was going to be. Through the large window across the hall it seemed all the women were smirking and gloating at me as they bound gracefully over their aerobic steps like ballerina's as if to say "Ha Ha...you chose the wrong class, we're having so much fun!"

Are my fellow biking enthusiasts really enjoying themselves I wondered? They looked as though they could envision themselves cycling through the French countryside as it had been suggested to us by the instructor. I too saw myself in the French countryside watching the bike race go by as I ate my baguette and cheese while sipping a nice wine on the terrace of the vineyard. I think the other people in the class were actually envisioning the yellow jersey at the end of their 45 minute workout. I was simply wondering if I should use ice or heat on my butt tonight to help with the pain.


Almost more disturbing to me then all of this was the fact that in the midst of my misery I was contemplating what I would blog about this moment...is that a sign of a problem?

No comments: