Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm still consumed with thoughts of the Pedersen family. Every two year old boy I see makes me think of Lucas. Every Volvo XC 90 makes me think of the crash pictures. Every red head little girl makes me think of Ashley. Every father/daughter I see holding hands makes me think of Jim.

On Monday, while many of us are enjoying the 3 day weekend with our families, there will be a memorial service for Carrie and Lucas at their church in Little Rock. The people that were a part of their daily lives during this assignment will have the opportunity to pay their respects and say their good-byes. The neighbors that played with their kids. The babysitters. The co-workers. The friends.

Despite the turbulence I still feel within my soul and brain on a moment by moment basis...I've also seen and experienced God at work in the midst of this storm. I've been receiving emails from strangers across the country. Strangers united by the thread of friendship found in Carrie at some point in their lives. Strangers who have expressed to me how God is using this situation to draw them closer to Him despite the troubling circumstances.

While you've been reading this you've been listening to "Praise You In The Storm" by Casting Crowns on my playlist. I was just mopping the floor when this song started playing and it immediately make me think of the Pederson family. I remember crying when I heard this song on the way home from dropping Brad off for his 120 day deployment. I thought of this same song in light of the death of Carrie and Lucas and it gave me perspective on all the things we'll consider storms in our lives. In reality, our storms are so often just cloudy days that we stress over or exaggerate in terms of their significance. I pray to God that when and if you face a true storm you are still able to experience the grace of God and praise Him in the storm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing how you are "coping." I find myself doing the same...consumed in thought...especially as I was in a car accident the same day, with my 2-yr-old blond son and 7-yr-old daughter the same day...in our Volvo.

It's hard...thinking about the "what if's." It's hard thinking about the Pedersens. It makes me just want to grab hold of the kids and never let go.

My "song" that has been constant in my head and radio is Tree63's version of "Blessed Be Your Name."

In the joys and the sorrows...give praise.

Thanks for sharing,
Julie

Kathy said...

Melynie... praying for the Pedersons and for you too. I'm so sorry that you have had this "storm" to watch your friends go through. God is so in control, and I know you hold fast to that. Hug those girls and Brad.
Love ya,
Kathy
P.S. Missed you in WA... I remember choking up as you drove away from McD's before we left.

Chelle said...

"Praise You In The Storm" is amazing...the idea of God holding our tears in our hands, how incredible.