Monday, August 28, 2006

Go, Go, Go!

That is a summary of our schedule...go, go, go. Vacation? Whatever. Maybe I just feel that way because I'm alone w/ the kids and out of my natural surroundings.

Friends and family mean well and intend to help, but do you ever notice that any negative traits your kids posses become glaringly obvious under the microscope of being in the presence of company? The girls are doing well though. I could complain, and have some ground to stand on (like not one nap despite everything from Mckenna!) but I think about everything they are going through and realize that they are really being troopers. We've been here 6 days now, including the day we traveled and they have slept in three different places! Tomorrow night another new bed and then a two night stay somewhere else! Our longest stay is 4 nights in one place!

Maybe this will help them appreciate their own beds when we get home.

On a different note we survived getting professional pictures today with my two nieces. All 5 girls looked at the camera and weren't crying...you gotta consider that a success and really at that point smiles are just optional (especially with 4 and 5 month olds).

We also got a chance yesterday to attend my brother's church. My brother is the senior pastor at a church (I wanted to link it here but they are creating a new webpage that is under construction). It's always an interesting/odd experience to listen to your brother speak. Not sure how to explain it. He is a great speaker and the more I hear him the more I am able to not listen to him as my brother but as the pastor. It's a challenge though. I just can't help but thinking to myself, "is this really the same guy that used to duck tape me to my desk chair in my bedroom and stuff a sock in my mouth until he felt enough guilt to release me?" Amazing how people can change. Of course I think if given the chance and under the right circumstances he would still duck tape me to a chair and find a sock if he could justify it.

Tomorrow night another new bed. Then two nights somewhere else and finally a 4 night stay in one place! It's always interesting to return to the place where you grew up. I see things in an entirely different light since being here with my own children. I'm not sure how to elaborate on my thoughts and feelings of returning home. I think I need more time to process it in my own little world.


"Home" has really become relative in the past 10 years. It's good to be here and see old faces. It will be good to return to WA and see new faces. In a few months it will be good to have Brad back and see the girl's smiling faces. That is home.

3 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Home, yes. But here's the real question: what does everyone think of your hair?!?

etoc said...

For the record, I DO NOT remember that incident. However, after reading this posting, I've got duct tape and a rolled-up sock waiting for you to come back over to stay at the house!

Honestly, I'm adjusting myself. It's a wild ride to go watch your younger sibling switch gears from sarcastic sister to Nazi Mom. The whiplash will last awhile.

Anonymous said...

Home!