Sunday, April 12, 2009

An Non-traditional Easter

Today's Easter looked a little different then our norm.

My in-laws left today and their flight was at 12:30. As a result, attending church this morning and getting them to the airport on time conflicted. I admit there was a 6:30 sunrise service but I didn't envision me getting there with the kids.

We started out by reading the Easter story from the Bible with Baileigh and Mckenna. Once Brooke woke up we read a book about the true meaning of Easter that was geared more towards a preschooler. Afterwards we headed downstairs to see if the Easter bunny had made a visit.
Baileigh had left a note for the Easter bunny and was very excited to see that their was a thank you letter left behind.
Brooke with all her loot. I don't think she remembers Easter from last year, but she was very enthusiastic anyways!
Baileigh had a lot of skeptical questions about the Easter Bunny this year...so we'll see what next year looks like!

Mckenna and her goodies.
The bunny left something small for Morgan...and Baileigh's hand-me-down "1st Easter Bib" came in handy.

Up to this point our Easter morning was pretty traditional. But after our Easter Egg hunt around the house and an early morning sugar buzz we sat down for brunch. I have to admit that my spread of ham, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, fruit salad, hashbrown casserole, and pineapple souffle looked and smelled wonderful! We filled up and then had to head out to the airport around 10:30am.

After we said our good-bye's to my in-laws we decided to stop at a park on the drive home. The temperatures were only around 50 but the wind was the main issue. Very cold! We knew the stop at the park wouldn't last too long due to the weather, but it ended a little faster then expected when Mckenna took a big fall off the swing when Daddy was pushing her. No one is to blame, but I notice that our time outside is always much more exciting (and there is a lot more blood involved) when Daddy is with us. I have a few more posts from this week that include Daddy's adventures with the girls and blood. While it's been great to have him home I also said today that he needs to go back to work before one of the kid's is seriously hurt!

So Mckenna's fall led to a backside covered in mud and wood chips, including a pile of dirt and chips in her underwear and scrapes on her lower back. Since the park was empty we weren't extremely modest in our clean up process...and of course we documented the event. My kids will either be so appreciative of all the pictures I take when they grow up or they'll resent me forever! We healed our wounds with a snack. Since it was so cold and windy we piled in the back of the Suburban. A giant "Happy Easter" cookie isn't anything we traditionally do to celebrate the resurrection of our Christ...but the girl's voted and they think we should eat one every year!
Despite the fact that she slept through the majority of the day, apparently Morgan found all the excitement exhausting!
While I truly missed attending church this morning and taking the time for corporate worship, I also thoroughly enjoyed my day and found myself being more intentional in my thoughts about the day since I wasn't spoon fed anything this morning to celebrate the occasion. I'm looking forward to dressing the girls up again next year and joining together with our church family, but having relatives around is such a rare thing for us that it was also nice to have the chance to celebrate and share the time with our real family.

2 comments:

Tylertopia said...

LOVE that photo of Morgan. So peaceful and precious!

PS-I left you a very long and mostly vague (haha) response on my blog regarding your camera question...please forgive my rambling. It is late and I've had too much sugar today. :o)

angela said...

What a great holiday. Sometimes you just have to stray from tradition! :) I have to say, that you had accomplished more by 10:30 Easter morning than I have all week! These days are so precious, don't you just want to reach out and hold them forever?