Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Day In Court

I spent my morning in traffic court. In early March I was stopped by a motorcycle cop for going 37mph in a 25mph zone. He was standing in a turn lane by his bike and shooting a radar gun as I approached. I won't deny my guilt. There are some variables that influenced my speed...such as the fact that I was in a right lane that was merging and I sped up a little so I could move into the left lane without cutting off the person behind me. Also the fact that I was in the midst of reprimanding Mckenna in the backseat who was lying to me about having played with the gel part of a Yankee candle air freshener..."hey look mom at this neat green thing I found that is kinda sticky!" I was fairly preoccupied with verbally disciplining her in my rear view mirror while driving, and merging, and apparently speeding.

Anyway...that is all to explain why I found myself sitting amongst a very colorful crowd this morning as I awaited my name to be called in the docket. My mind was still distracted by the security guard at the entrance informing me that I would need to remove my baby from the carseat so he could look because last week someone tried to sneak a weapon into the courthouse under a baby. Uhhh...what am I doing here with my 3 week old!!! My thoughts were transferred to mental reruns of People's Court as the bailiff asked us to all rise while the honorable judge presiding over today's session entered and swore in the police officers seated in the front row.

After about 45 minutes my name was finally called. Morgan slept through most of the excitement (although she had one loud blowout diaper and a few grunts), like the man who apparently ran from his vehicle when he was pulled over and tried to hide in a dumpster. He told the judge he was going to 7-11 for a coke. When the judge asked him why he was hiding in a dumpster he seriously said..."I got lost?" So my case was boring in comparison. I plead guilty and then asked the judge to consider my perfect driving record and reduce the fine and allow me to do whatever necessary to prevent any points on my record. My fine went from $125 to $62 and I can take an eleven session online course and then a 50 question test at the library down the street. I can also send in my certificate of completion and the case is dismissed and my record is clean again.

So I've learned my lesson. This was a huge hassle. Brad had to go into work late so he could take the girls to school. I have to complete this course. The fine. The ordeal this morning of getting to court, etc. It was a change from my normal morning...but I'm looking forward to normal tomorrow...whatever that looks like!

4 comments:

Double A's Mom said...

How come you had to go to court? I've always just mailed the ticket in with my payment (listen to me, "always." I've only gotten two tickets in my whole life, I promise!) Was it to keep the points off your record?

Anonymous said...

That sucks! In WA, you can go to "court by mail" and just write a note to the judge explaining...it's nice. You get the fine reduced and as long as you don't have any more tickets in the next 6 months your record stays clean. I got the same ticket...37 in a 25 and a school zone. Darn cops:) Kate

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh MY! You had to bring your baby....poor thing.
sandy toe

Anonymous said...

I love the story the man came up with! I've been to traffic court before and it is an interesting crowd. I was a Jr. in high school. Don't ask! The guy before me tried to plead his case and the judge told him to come back on Thursday and bring your toothbrush. Needless to say I was a little nervous.

Sherry