Monday, January 19, 2009

Observing History?

This is obviously a historic and fascinating time to be living in the DC suburbs. Imagine the coverage of inaugural events that you're seeing on TV and triple it considering all the local news and coverage we receive around here since it impacts our schools, traffic, work schedules, etc. Roads out of VA and into DC are actually going to be closed. School is cancelled. HOV rules are in effect all day instead of just rush hour. Essentially the news says stay home and watch our TV coverage from the warmth and comfort of your home. I agree!

In this midst of this historical time in society there is also a mass marketing of the presidency, a person, and the inauguration unprecedented in history. I am continual in shock as I walk into the food court area of the local BX/PX at the various bases around here and find myself in the newly formed Obama-Stuffmart. The same is true on almost every street corner of DC...I can buy an Obama t-shirt, plate, hat, hoodie, snowglobe, keychain, candle, ornament, tie, travel mug, socks, soap, hot sauce, bobble head dolls, stickers, playing cards, board game, DVD, chocolates, etc. Nothing like saying I'm proud to be an American by washing my hands on the image of our new president after consuming some candy with his face stamped into the chocolate! So patriotic!

I had the chance to lay in bed and watch some of the news stories for about a half hour since Brad is home today and he got up with the girls to make breakfast. I flipped around to see story after story about celebrities in DC here to support Obama and "give back". About the next generation getting involved in politics. About the air of excitement and enthusiasm sweeping across our nation. About the historical implications of Michelle Obama's inaugural gown and it's impact on fashion in the future. About inaugural snacks to celebrate the event. About how the DC social scene is going to change with this young couple in the White House. About how "cool" it will be to have elementary age children now in DC since your kids may potentially rub elbows with the Obama girls and play dates and birthday parties may be involved. About the cultural "earthquake" and the generational shift we're about to experience with a president who listens to Ludicrous on his IPod, is obsessed with his Blackberry and mimics JayZee and fist bumps the first lady. About the Obama's future dog becoming the most popular breed in the US in 2009. And in the next story about Obama bringing more prestige back to the White House. Huh?

This thirty minutes of "news" had my head hurting by 8:00am. I didn't vote for Obama. However, he has my full support now as I hope he does by other people who did not give him their vote. Support doesn't have to equal endorsement...but he is our president now and I don't understand anyone wanting to see him fail at the expense of our country just to be able to say "I told you so." I will be praying for his wisdom and for those that surround him and advise him during his presidency. I'm anxious to see what he does and fascinated by the renewed enthusiasm for our country and the political scene.

On the flip side, I'm really disturbed, annoyed and concerned. I keep thinking back to The Left Behind series of books that I read a long time ago. This will open a can of worms...but about the character of Nicoli rumored to be the Antichrist and his rise to political power and the celebrity like popularity he had and the cultures obsession with this man. Sound familiar? Also the timing of all our events in the US with what is taking place in Israel and along the Gaza strip and how it parallels a lot of the Bible's end time accounts.

Is Obama ever going to be seen as our president, or a celebrity? The news stories say you can find more celebrities in DC this weekend then you can in LA. Oprah alone seems to have brought at least 30 celebrities along with her to be on her show being broadcast at the Kennedy Center today. Local story after local story is an interview with a celebrity at a run down DC school helping paint a wall or pick up garbage as part of the National Day of Service and in efforts to come together and show their support for our new president. While I think it's great in a sense I guess I'm a little confused as to what was keeping them from coming here before and giving back on any given day? I feel like it's Jr. high in DC...it's "cool" so let's all do it! Was someone stopping them from giving back the other 364 days of the year or during a republican administration?

I don't have an agenda with this post or really even a conclusion. I just wanted to clear my head after thirty minutes of "news coverage" this morning. Although I find some of my kid's cartoon shows fairly disturbing they leave my head hurting a lot less then the media did this morning.

12 comments:

etoc said...

The media coverage and hype is WAY overkill. Then again, 20+ years late and Republicans are still renaming everything after Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately, the pendulum all swings too far in the opposite direction. After the widespread disapproval of the Bush Presidency, Obama's being approved before even doing anything. I think an Obamamint may take away the bad taste!

If you look past it, it is amazing to watch a black President walk down the steps of the monument to the President who emancipated the slaves. So much progress in so little time, while other Western democracies struggle mightily with the race issue. It's not about what he has done, but what we have do together as a people to move toward a more perfect union based on the equality of all.

Organized Chaos said...

Very eloquently stated, Chris...like an Obama supporter! :)

I knew you would reply to this...

I agree this is a huge historical step (when I'm able to see it through the fog of the liberal media and the mass marketing)...but I don't know if I'm ready for the next 4-8 years be about a the race of our president versus his actual presidency. I realize you can't separate one from the other...but it's always ironic how we spotlight the differences...isn't that contradictory to equality and inclusion?

Shell in your Pocket said...

I truly feel most Americans voted for this man b/c they truly think they "will get something". He is our president and needs our prayers.
I hope he will "surprise" me and become more "central" in his views...hold the traditions and laws of our fore fathers...hold the constitution as true! Many celebrate..it is sad to me. It's almost like you cannot say it b/c you are viewed as a racist! No! If he was conservative..I would eat the mints too!!! Why didn't everyone get excited when Alan Keyes ran? He was black..not even multiracial!But, he was conservative and spoke out against the evil in this country.
-sandy toe

Jodi said...

M - I loved this post. You have put into words all of the same things I have been thinking. You have a balanced way of looking at it, as I do. I also think that Christians need to be an example in the support of our leader even if we didn't vote for him.

But grossed out? Yes. All of this media hype and "oprah" crap is driving me nuts!!

I, too, have thought about the end times, and I have to agree with you on that point as well.

I guess it's just time to buckle up and ride this ride - and we Christians better be praying A LOT. That's all I can say.

John and Carrie said...

Great post! I've never gotten into the historical significance of having a certain race or gender hold certain positions. Back 7 years ago, I was a female Air Force officer and was interviewed for a piece the paper was doing because 3 out of 4 of the groups on base were going to be commanded by women colonels. My response? I look forward to the day, when a big deal won't be made that the new commanders are women but all that will be talked about is whether they are a good leader or not, whether they are qualified, what their experiences are. I think the same can be applied to race as well as gender. It doesn't matter to me what someone's race or gender is, just tell me are they the best person for the job.

When you take out looking at someone's qualifications and experience, etc, and all people talk about instead is that person's charisma...well then, you hit the nail on the head with your Left Behind comment.

However, I do agree, that we should all support the elected president, regardless of who we voted for, he is going to be the new president. I just wish some of the far left had that same respect for our country and the country's president the last 8 years.

Royal Cuties said...

Amen, sista.

Anonymous said...

I want Obama to fail. I don’t want Nationalized Health care, bigger government, bigger unions, or shaky foreign policies. I also know I don’t want our country to fail. What are we to do?
Eric

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Melynie!! It is exciting that he is the first Black President, but he's being treated more like a celebrity than the president of the US. And the media is absolutely in love with him. I want him to be successful in being a good president, but since I don't agree with most of his projected policies, I do not want him to succeed in getting his agenda across, but I'm afraid the Congress will fall in lockstep with him. Once a nationalized medical program is instituted, there is no retracking it; once the Freedom of Choice Act is implemented it will be very hard to overturn it. So in that regard, it is frightening what laws and programs might be instituted all in the name of "I want him to be successful."

And I agree with you -- I can see more clearly how we (the American people, the world) will be swept up by an anti-Christ. I'm not saying Obama is that person, but we can see how we will be caught up unsuspectingly in the appeal of that person.
Good thoughts -- I'm sure all the hype is overkill the closer you get to DC, but it's ridiculous out here in the good old midwest too.

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Everything you said about giving Obama our support and prayers, even if we didn't vote for him... is exactly what Kevin said in his sermon a few weeks ago! I also completely agree with you on both accounts. I have heard more than a few people comment about the similarities to Left Behind.

LDraper said...

I love this post. It is seriously like you invaded my head and then put my brain into this post. Find anything else in there??? ;)

Anyhow... I, too, will be praying for our country and our new president. He was not my first choice, but I will support him in prayer because I love this country. I sincerely hope that all of the hype will calm down soon and he will get to just be "Mr President".

ALl in all, I'm SO thankful that Christ is the one on the throne and in control of all. That is where I find my peace.

lovin' life said...

You said exactly what I was thinking. I hope you don't mind, but I quoted you in my blog entry tonight.
Praying for the new president,

J

Our Four Kids said...

Hi there,

Jen's blog brought me here. SO well stated. As some of your friends here have mentioned, you put into words what my husband and I have been thinking all day. Glad to know we aren't alone. We just aren't in the limelight. :)