Friday, October 06, 2006

In Memory

Today I learned of the death of Justin Peterson. We attended high school together (SCS) and also Taylor University. He was a Captain in the Marines that was deployed to Iraq. I really lost it watching the slide show on the memorial website. Looking at the pictures of him and his wife, Patty, at Taylor and the pictures of him with his 3 little kids just made me feel like I have too much in common with their family. His little girl was three days old when he deployed. Prior to Brad's deployment I would see a news story like this or hear about one year long army deployments or the service of other military branches and feel pretty removed or detached from the situation. Despite being fellow military I just didn't relate a lot since we had never experienced a long deployment and because Brad's job as a pilot gives him a different type of assignment. I suddenly feel very military. I cry when I hear about a story like this and suddenly it feels close to home. I have friends currently facing the trials of a one year deployment. I know marriages falling apart during deployments. Now I know people killed during a deployment.

I remember sitting in the back hallway at SCS talking with Justin while he put his cleats on for soccer. I remember passing him on the sidewalk at Taylor. I remember how happy Justin always seemed and how friendly he was. He had a warm smile and a big personality. I remember him being a passionate and skilled soccer player. I'm sure he was also a passionate marine. I remember being confused when I heard he was joining the marines. I knew he was going to attend Taylor and in my ignorance of the day I only thought most people joined the military as a means to get to college. I didn't realize at the time that there were people out there like Justin who wanted to be in the military because they had a great desire to serve their country. I didn't understand until I met Brad that some people feel called by God to make the sacrifice to serve.

My heart aches right now for the Peterson family. I literally feel sick thinking of Patty and her three kids. I'm so sorry for their loss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you!