Sunday, December 17, 2006

Black Out

Ya know the silly saying that you would loose your head if it weren't attached to your shoulders...I believe that that would seriously apply to me this week. We arrived home late on Wednesday night. Thursday was an extremely busy day filled with appointments, the girls Christmas program at preschool, working at our store, dinner with some women from MOPS, a MOPS meeting followed by a late movie with a friend. Leaving the theater that night we drove home in the midst of a wind storm that ended up knocking out power to thousands of homes in the Puget Sound area. I later heard on the news that over a million people were without power in western Washington, ourselves included.

Our power went out Thursday night around midnight. Friday we "roughed it" around the house playing games and coloring. Unfortunately the suitcases were never unpacked on Thursday and I had set aside Friday to unpack and clean and get settled back in to reality. We did venture out and bought a Christmas tree, despite the lack of power, and brought it home and decorated it without any knowledge of what exactly the lights would look like until the power returned. At least it killed some time. We went out Friday night (as did thousands of other families w/out power...ahhh) and found a place with power where we ate dinner. We returned home and bundled up for another cold night. Our house got down to about 60, not too bad compared to some friends who told me there house was 52 degrees. We left our gas fireplace running all night (maybe not smart, but warm) and that helped maintain the temperature. Saturday morning we were still without power and I was started to get the computer detox shakes. Around noon on Saturday the power returned. Our excitement was short lived as we soon discovered computer problems. In anticipation of the storm we had shut our computer off but for whatever reason when the power returned our computer had issues. So currently our hard drive is at Best Buy with the Geek Squad for a check up. We've hooked Brad's laptop up and it will have to do for now. Our ice maker on our fridge is now not working since the power outage and we lost a lot of our food inventory at our store that will be a big financial loss. Man, power outages stink!

So my Disneyland posts will have to wait a little longer until I get my life in order. The fact that Christmas is a week from tomorrow has totally caught me off guard...how does that happen? I don't want to feel stressed and anxious...but every day when I go to the mailbox and get the joy of all the Christmas cards the stress level increases in the fact that I just ordered our cards from Shutterfly and I still haven't written the letter. So that said, I should go type our letter and stop blogging!

1 comment:

prayforbuddy said...

Looking forward to the fun of reading your Disney recap. Good news from a sunny place... much better than our blackout stories, huh? (BTW... We're still dark at our house).

-John (prayforbuddy@yahoo.com)
ps: I always find a smile reading your posts!