Sunday, September 06, 2009

Kindergarten and 2nd Grade Orientation

On Thursday Brad took the day off so I could go to Mckenna and Baileigh's school orientations without having to drag around their sisters. Mckenna's K orientation was at 8:45 so we made it into a breakfast date and went to Panera first for a little treat. In the past she has always finished off an entire cinnamon role...this time she ate a few bites and said she was too nervous to eat more.
Checking out her classroom...she is excited to possibly get to play on the computer and wear the headphones.
Mckenna with Mrs. Lawson. Apparently she has been around for awhile, at least 20 years from what I hear. Mckenna is a great student, but she has a lot of energy and is easily bored and distracted but I'm optimistic that Mrs. Lawson can channel all her potential in the right direction. She seems like a great teacher...despite being a Notre Dame fan.
Since we can't go in the school on their first day I made sure to take pictures to commemorate the milestone. I felt like the only parent taking pictures! Either I'm the smart one who remembered their camera or I'm more sentimental then the other parents.
Mckenna seems appropriately nervous but excited. I'm excited for her...we made the decision to start her on the later side since she has a late August birthday and while its a choice I would make again in a heartbeat for several reasons I know she is ready...and so am I!

Baileigh is so excited for second grade. As a result of our neighborhood swim team she already has about 5 friends in her classroom. Its so nice to return to a school and not always be the new kid. She was obviously new in K and then we moved and she was new in 1st grade...so this is the first time she has been able to return to a familiar environment.
Baileigh with her teacher Mrs. DeCou.
Checking out her classroom...she was very excited that there were "Boxcar" books on the reading shelf...she is completely into this series and will sit in the corner all day and read through one of the books after we've been to the library.
Since Mckenna got to have breakfast Baileigh and I went for some ice cream after her 3:00 orientation. I'm not sure what she is doing with her finger in this picture (but its not what it looks like) but its a good shot of her now toothless grin. Here come the big awkward adult teeth. Yikes!

48 hours...and counting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how old Mckenna looks. Have fun with just 2 home during the day. Is Brooke doing preschool? Kate

Lovin' on my Boys said...

That is SO funny you mentioned that you were the only one with the camera. Because I was the only one with the camera at Jacob's orientation. Adam kept saying, "Do you realize you are the only one taking pictures?" Maybe I'm sentimental, but I think Kindergarten is a pretty BIG deal! I was relieved to find more people joining me on the first day. ;)