Wednesday, December 16, 2009

After 8 Years of Waiting...

Before we even had kids I envisioned what our future mantel would look like at the holidays. Why, I don't know...but it was a reoccuring thought. I could picture the kid's stockings embroidered with their names and hanging by the fireplace just waiting to be filled on Christmas morning. I've waited paitently though, for over 8 years until we were done having kids so I could buy them all at once and get them to match.

I seriously admit that within 24 hours of Morgan being born I had the thought that I could now order my Christmas stockings! Last month I decided to finally pull the trigger and commit ourselves to this investment that the kids would have for years to come. On the one hand I was thrilled when I opened the Pottery Barn Kid's Catalog and saw all the cute stockings. The girls immediately decided who would get which stocking without any arguing, another thing I was thrilled with...and a little surprised that Mckenna passed on the skater and opted for the Gingerbread man!

I was disappointed though to see that the airplane stocking they so often have was now trains this year. Somehow Brad's stocking with trains instead of airplanes just didn't seem appropriate...so, thanks to Ebay and much shopping I found last years stocking. I had to find somewhere to get it embroidered, but I also had to find somewhere to get Mckenna's embroidered since PBK's fancy embroidery machine couldn't make a lowercase "K" in her name! I was seriously told that their machine's default setting when it sees "Mc" is to capitalize the "K"...not sure if the issue is a fancy machine or a machine operator who isn't smarter then the machine!

Thankfully, one of our pastor's wives has a sewing shop and she kindly embroidered both the stockings to match the rest of the family. I have to say that my Santa stocking is kinda my least favorite...but part of my "vision" was also alternating colors so I took one for the team so we could go "blue, red, blue, red" etc. Plus, I was also envisioning oldest to youngest...but that didn't work either so I mixed them all up...you know that no one else in my family notices these things or really cares...but it all makes me happy!

7 comments:

jess e. said...

it's the little things, isn't it! ;-) love it. we have stocking holders that spell out J O Y. this year abby insisted that jimmy's stocking hang on the J and owen's on the O and hers on the Y (at least abby ends in a Y) which made them go out of birth order and out of color order! ;-)

Jamie said...

we are so alike:) I'm also waiting to buy the family stockings....your mantel looks lovely!

The View From My Porch said...

Love them!!! ~Alison

Anonymous said...

Love it! We have the same ones! Kate

Amy said...

It looks beautiful! I totally get it and still have yet to buy all of ours. Thanks for sharing!

Triple Trouble said...

Looks great, Merry Christmas to all the Halls!!

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Hey, hey, deck the Halls! hahahaa!

Isn't it funny how we moms think SO MUCH about those things that probably NO ONE would ever think about? but they mean so much to us? I am totally with you there.