Sunday, February 20, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

This poster was initially produced by the Ministry of Information in 1939 during the beginning of World War II. It was intended to be distributed in order to strengthen morale in the event of a wartime disaster. Planning for the posters started in April 1939; by June designs were prepared, and by August 1939, they were on their way to the printers, to be placed up within 24 hours of the outbreak of war.

The posters were designed to have a uniform device, be a design associated with the Ministry of Information, and have a unique and recognisable lettering, with a message from the King to his people. Two-and-a-half million copies were printed, although the poster was distributed only in limited numbers.

It taps directly into the country's mythic image of itself: unshowily brave and just a little stiff, brewing tea as the bombs fall.

It is our deployment mantra...it is on my t-shirt. It is on the wooden plaque in the kitchen. It is on the kids bookmarks in their Bible. It is on my blog header.

I'll be unshowily brave, brewing tea (or coffee) as the bombs fall. As the tree branches break. As the toilet clogs. As the car battery dies. As the mailbox door hinge rusts out. As the dog is sick. As the babysitter cancels. As the fish dies. As the kids fight. As the fever spikes. As the bills arrive. As I grow weary.

Daily it is said around our house. Daily I remind myself to relax. To not get worked up. To choose my battles. To focus on the bigger issues, the task at hand. To keep swimming. To take baby steps. To do my best, and let God take care of the rest.

To Keep Calm and Carry On.

3 comments:

AnnsyP said...

I saw the sign at your house, and liked it. It's similar to my mantra (although not in similar circumstances), which you mention in your post, which is "Just keep swimming," (from Finding Nemo). I have used this both in running and in difficult situations in life! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the history lesson! It is a great mantra to live by!

Love ya,
Sherry

Jodi said...

I loved this post and what you are doing with this mantra. After I read it, I just wanted to say "I'm so proud of you!" -Jodi