Sunday, July 06, 2008

Here We Go Again!

I hope the third time is a charm...third child to potty train begins this week!

I had planned on conquering this once we moved to VA, but since our move has been pushed back to mid August I decided to see what we could accomplish in the next few weeks. Brooke is telling me when she is wet and has actually been waking up at night yelling "I WET". She also has been taking off her diaper and looking in her closet for a new one when she wants a dry diaper. I took all those things as signs that she is ready. She'll be 28 months old tomorrow and it would be really nice to have her out of diapers by this fall!


We hit Target today and picked up some supplies. I thought if Brooke helped it would build the excitement. We got a new potty so I could keep the old one in the back of the Suburban (I highly recommend this when potty training!). We also picked out some stickers, pull-ups for bedtime, m&m's and jelly beans for rewards, flushable wipes and thick undies...I let her pick out one pack of character undies for the future.

I had planned on starting the process tomorrow but she was pretty enthusiastic after our shopping trip so we started after her nap today. I put her in underwear around 4:30 and she stayed dry until 7:30. She was a little hesitant about the big girl undies at first, but after making the transition she was pretty proud!
She spent the better part of 6:30-7:30 running around naked. I spent a lot of the afternoon sitting on the potty, too...reading books to her and trying to encourage her to go potty with mommy. I forgot what this is like! The other girls have VBS this week so I think the remainder of my days will consist of sitting on the potty and reading books!

I think she went pee-pee on the potty tonight...according to Baileigh, Brooke was playing in Baileigh's room and started to go pee-pee. Baileigh said they ran to the bathroom and Brooke got on the potty and went a little more. It was enough that we all did a song and dance and she got an m&m...considering the hour plus that she sat on the potty tonight I was glad to give her at least one piece of candy as a reward.
While we're making big changes I think we're going to put her in a twin bed tomorrow night. She loves to lay in her sisters twin bed and she throws a fit when it is time to get in her crib which has already been converted to a toddler bed...she wants to sleep in a big girl bed so badly! We had planned on making the switch in VA as well, but we're thinking that getting her used to it in a familiar environment in the next month may make her first few nights in her new bedroom in VA a little less difficult.

5 comments:

Lovin' on my Boys said...

I was just writing about Gavin going into his big boy bed! ;) We're going to wait on the potty training though. Good luck!

Jodi said...

Man - you're GOOD! Look at you, and all your potty shopping! You've got it all DOWN! :)

And, no more diapers? WHAT are you going to do with yourself?

Have another baby? heeheeheehee...

Double A's Mom said...

Yay! Someone else to go through this experience with me! Good luck with it!

You got those thick undies at Target? What brand are they? They look really nice! I may have to go get the boy version!

Anonymous said...

way to go with the potty training - we're doing the same here at our house! here's to being diaper-free! jami b.

Melodie said...

Good luck...sometimes it's so quick and sometimes not! I was waiting until our move to worry about it so now it's time for us too! I think I might do it while we are visiting Tim next time in DC so we are confined to a smaller space and avoid any first week accidents in my new house!! :)Best of luck with everything!!