Saturday, June 13, 2009

Today was the girl's first official swim meet. My thoughts summarized: early, hot, early, early, fun!

Being that I'm not a morning person I totally feel there will be an ironic twist in this fun summer activity and that I'll get one my girls hooked on this sport and find myself getting up at 5:00am for swim practices the remainder of my life...or until they can drive.

Despite the early mornings, I am thrilled with the results I see in the girls in just two weeks. Just days ago Mckenna would freak out if she had to swim on her back and held on to either a coach or kickboard with a deathgrip. Today she swam in the backstroke heat and went end to end without stopping and at a pretty good pace! Last time Brad saw her swim at time trials she was in tears and holding on to her coach...he could hardly believe it was the same kid one week later! Here she is finishing up her backstroke heat.
If you look closely you can see Mckenna in lane 1 (far left) wearing pink goggles and jumping in and Baileigh is in lane three in the green goggles...they are the two swimmers in the picture with a slow start so they aren't in the water yet...made for a good picture though.
Baileigh won her freestyle heat...by a lot! Here she is after touching the wall, you can see how far ahead she was of the rest of the kids. This was her first event so it was great for her confidence.
After the freestyle...
Baileigh also swam the breastroke...its her weakest stroke right now but she did well.

6 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great pictures!!!!
sandy toe

Double A's Mom said...

That is so awesome that the girls are involved in stuff like this. I'm curious - where do you go to get them into this kind of stuff? Is it through a YMCA or something like that or through their school?

Amy said...

So glad you are having fun and your kids are loving it too!

Abundant Joy said...

Great job girls. We love ya'll.

Jenn said...

and so it begins!!! Love this!!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Ahhh, memories of early swim meets. I started swimming when I was McKenna's age and definitely remember early mornings at McDonald's and crying over not beating my time. It was fun though!