Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vaseline Not Recommended!


Brooke has cradle cap. Bad. I can't just ride it out...its not my personality. Unfortunately. All my girls have had it, but it's much more noticeable on a brunette then blondes. Her flakes bother me. So I was going to fix it. Olive Oil. Worked with my other girls. Massage it on the scalp. A few washes...it's cleared up. Didn't work on Brooke. Someone suggested Vaseline. Can't remember who suggested it, but now when I ask any of my girlfriends if they were the one w/ the bright idea they thoroughly deny it...if you're reading this and it was your idea, you're lucky I can't remember.

Vaseline may work on babies with cradle cap who have peach fuzz for hair...but not a baby already in need of a haircut. 27 hair washings later...Brooke may not have cradle cap, but you can't tell one way or the other through her Vaseline coated hair. So I went to Vaseline.com...a resource I never knew existed prior to this incident. No FAQ addressed this issue and their customer service was closed. I couldn't wait. So I asked Jeeves's and was encouraged to learn I wasn't the first one to make this mistake...granted everyone else claimed that their toddlers got into the vaseline and put it in their own hair, not a 32 year old mom. Thankfully, I learned that cornstarch works, eventually. We've tried it 3 times and I finally see an improvement...hopefully a dozen or so more washes and we'll be back to normal. I can't wait to see the flakes again in her soft, spikey hair! They'll never bother me again.

3 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious.

What an introduction to blogging: "I Put Vaseline in My Kid's Hair"!

Poor Brooke. But is her hair softer now? That's the question.

Erin said...

Welcome to the blogging world! Love the vaseline-induced spikiness. I have a 3-month-old with cradle cap. But she has no hair. I also have a two year old who happens to be one week younger than your two year old (according to your lilypie tickers)! Why oh why can't we get stationed near someone who has kids our age?!
(I'm from Callie and Avery's blog)

Anonymous said...

I just need to say that this story made me laugh soooo hard! I'm just so grateful that you test all these "home remedies" before I need to! This is a story to remember forever!

Wish I had the time and motivation for this blogging thing! Looks like fun!